Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Ii (Pronounced Eeee) Is said to Be a Modification of a Sami Word For Place to Stay Overnight

 I met Heini and Sanna, two of the
folks who make this place run!




Sanna took me for a walk in the woods, and I met her dog and chickens.
After working on a new poem and having my official artist-in-residence photograph taken, I went for a swim
in the Ii river. Cold even for me, and no sauna before! The temperature here is mid-60s but going down to the 50s.  Signs of autumn everywhere as I  pick bilberries, similar to blueberries but smaller. The lingonberries are  out too, tart and red.  I had them with my yogurt for breakfast, and also ate local apples.



KultuuriKauppila is know for its  ART Ii Biennale and in the woods near the residency, you can see the MY NAME IS NATURE: Please Fuck Me sign made by Sami artist Carola Grahn http://www.carolagrahn.se/
who I met in New York a couple of years ago. Not everyone around here is pleased with this, but I think it makes a necessary statement.











2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing there! So beautiful and peaceful. Glad you are
    enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you cousin. I am glad you had fun in Portugal. Finland is both traditional and flamboyant. That's my sense of it.

      Delete